Satin Balls for German Shepherd & Other Dogs
Why or when would you use satin balls for German Shepherd & other dog breeds? Let me explain its benefits first and then share with you some good tasty recipes.
There are many situations in which pet parents have to face the strenuous task of trying to put weight on their beloved German Shepherd dog or any other dog breed. For example, you have been out on a month long trip and when you get back you find that your pet has lost considerable amount of weight in your absence. Or, when your pet has had a surgery or is recovering from some kind of illness, he tends to lose weight and become skinny. Or when you become the owner of a rescued dog, you want to quickly fatten up the poor animal that probably has not been getting proper meals for the past many months.
These and many more reasons can force pet parents to look for answers to the question – “how to put weight on a dog”. So, you need no longer worry because one of the proven and quickest ways to achieve this is through satin balls. In the following sections you will learn how to put weight on a dog using satin balls.
- 1 What are satin balls?
- 2 Conclusion
What are satin balls?
Satin ball is a type of dog food that was originally created by Diana Carreon and the recipe was first posted on the Wellpet site. The satin ball contains lots of carbs and hence helps a dog put on weight quickly. It also helps dogs get a shinier and fuller coat.
Here is the list of the ingredients of satin balls as given by Diana Carreon:
- 10 pounds hamburger meat [any kind]
- 1 lg. box oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1 jar of wheat germ
- 10 raw eggs AND shells
- 1 1/4 cup veg oil
- 1 lg. box of Total cereal
- 10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
- pinch of salt
You just need to mix all the ingredients and make golf size balls and put them in the freezer. Give them to your pet as and when required.
How does a satin ball help put on weight fast?
The satin ball post of Diana Carreon on wellpet soon became one of the most sought after posts. Pet parents found out that feeding satin balls to their pets actually helped the pets put on weight fast. Here is a detailed analysis of each ingredient of satin ball which will help you understand how satin balls help dogs to put on weight quickly.
- Hamburger meat- Hamburger meat is a very good and inexpensive source of protein for the dog.
- Oatmeal- Oatmeal not only contains protein but is also a good source of fibers and vitamins.
- Wheat germ- Wheat germ is an excellent source of fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids help in skin protection and give the dog shiny and soft hair.
- Total cereal- A box of total cereal contains whole grain wheat flakes and a variety of vitamins.
- Vegetable oil- What kind of vegetable oil you want to add depends upon your specific preference but certain oils contain more fatty acids than others. For example, flaxseed oil and canola oil is a better source of fatty acids than sunflower oil.
- Unsulfured molasses- Molasses are a rich source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6, iron and calcium.
- Raw eggs and shells- Eggs contain Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 and amino acids. Feeding the shells along with the eggs helps in digestion and teeth development.
- Gelatin- Gelatin contains collagen which helps in maintaining a healthy skin.
- A pinch of salt- A small amount of salt is needed in an animal’s diet for electrolyte balance and normal growth and development. But, too much salt can lead to serious problems for them like dehydration, diarrhea and vomiting.
As can be seen from the ingredient list, satin balls contain fats, proteins and minerals that help a dog put on weight fast. It helps in muscle and tissue formation and skin development.
How many satin balls should be given?
The amount of satin balls you feed your dog will depend upon the dog’s initial weight and the purpose of weight gain. Some people prefer to fatten up their dogs just before a show. They feed their dog about 3 balls per day. If however you are trying to put weight on your dog after illness or surgery then you can feed him 1-2 satin balls daily for 7-10 days. Once your pet achieves the desired weight, you can stop feeding the satin balls.
Satin balls help to put on weight pretty quickly and a quick weight loss or gain is not very good for any animal from health perspective. Hence the balls should be used sparingly and on need basis only. Some people do not find the ingredients of the original recipe very healthy and they substitute other things. For example, the total cereal contains sugar which might not be a healthy choice for a dog. Here are a few more recipes of satin balls that might prove helpful.
Satin Balls Recipe for German Shepherd & Other Dogs
- A Reader’s recipe that appeared on HolisticDog:
5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
2½ cups raw wheat germ
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement
- Grain free satin ball recipe:
In case a dog has grain allergies then a grain free satin ball recipe will be useful for putting on weight. The following recipe is on k9instinct.
10 pounds of ground beef
1 large tub of 4% fat cottage cheese
500g of cream cheese
1 1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cup of unsulphured molasses
10 raw eggs with the shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
A pinch of salt
- Healthier alternative to the original recipe:
Some people do not prefer adding Total cereal, oat meal and oil as these ingredients just increase the carb content and not the nutrition value. A simpler and healthier recipe of satin balls will contain:
1 pound Ground beef
1 jar Peanut Butter
12 Egg yolks
1 pack Cream cheese
A jar of wheat germ
1 cup flaked oats
Step wise instructions of making satin balls
The actual satin ball preparation is quite easy once you finalize which satin ball recipe you want to use. Here are the steps of preparing satin balls.
Step 1: Gather all the ingredients of the recipe. In case you are not sure if your dog will like the balls then you can use a scaled down version of the recipe you are using. Using 1/10th of the ingredients of the original recipe will give you around 14 satin balls.
Step 2: Take a large mixing bowl and add all the dry ingredients. Then add oil, eggs and meat.
Step 3: Mix all the ingredients and make golf size balls. You can also flatten the balls and make patties. Patties are easier to store than balls.
Step 4: Arrange the patties/balls in zip lock bags and put them in a freezer.
Step 5: Whenever you want to feed the satin balls to your dog, just thaw them before serving.
Do’s and don’ts of using satin balls
Though satin balls will help your dog put weight on quickly there are certain do’s and don’ts of using them.
- Do not feed the satin balls to pups. Pups need various other nutrients for a healthy growth that a satin ball does not contain. Feeding satin balls to a pup can create health problems for him in the future.
- Do not use satin balls as the only food source for your dog. Use them only as supplements or treats.
- Do not mix the satin balls with dry kibble. The dog will just make a mess trying to search the ball.
- Since satin balls contain raw meat, make sure to wash your pet’s bowl daily.
Hopefully the article has covered in detail the answers to the question “how to put weight on a dog with satin balls”. Before you start using satin balls just make sure that your pet does not have any allergies to any of the ingredients used. It will also be a good idea to consult your pet’s vet in case of any doubt about the ingredients or the method of preparation.