7 Best Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste
Why you should buy vet recommended dog tooth paste, and NEVER use human toothpaste for your dog? Below, I have shared the 7 Best Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste.
Then, I have provided some research based facts on dog’s dental health and the ingredients you should look for in a good dog toothpaste.
Also I have shared with you, how as a dog owner you can do simple things to keep your dog’s teeth healthy.
Prevention is better than cure – wise saying!
After that, I have provided detailed review for each dog toothpaste.
It is a long article, and will take you some time to read. But it will be worth it. Because good oral health results in overall well-being of your dog (American Veterinary Medical Association – AVDC). This is another useful article from AVDC, which talks about dog dental disease and how it can damage liver, heart valves and even kidneys, if left untreated.
Don’t buy any toothpaste you see on the shelf. Rather, get some understanding first on what your dog needs, and then go for the right one.
If you click on the links below, it will take you to Amazon, where you can find out more information. So, let’s dive in right away!
Quick Glance: 7 Best Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste
🐾 Perfect toothpaste for overall care – Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic
A majority of reviewers agree that Virbac C.E.T. is loved by their furry friend! Not only does it get the job done, but you also have a range of taste choices as well.
🐾 Best Enzymatic toothpaste – SENTRY Petrodex
Most reviewers are of the opinion that Sentry has made a huge difference in maintaining their pet’s dental hygiene. It removes tartar, plaque, bad breath and keeps the teeth clean.
🐾 Best plaque reducing toothpaste – Nylabone Advanced Oral Care
The scientifically formulated toothpaste with Denta-C helps reduce tartar and plaque that harbors bacteria. Your pet will have fresh breath, strong teeth, and healthy gums.
🐾 Fights bad breath – Arm & Hammer Enzymatic
Infused with baking soda, this toothpaste fights bad breath, reduces tartar and whitens your pet’s teeth.
🐾 Made with natural ingredients – Kissable All-Natural
The all-natural ingredients in this toothpaste have antifungal and antiseptic properties. It will give your pet a healthy mouth without raising its glycemic index.
🐾 Vegetarian dental formula – Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
Made with a mix of ingredients including neem oil, aloe vera, and grapefruit seed, it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
🐾 Tropiclean fresh breath– Ideal for smaller dog breeds
Helps soothe irritated gums, fight gum diseases, freshen breath, removes plaque and tartar. And, all this without brushing! Just apply a few drops to your pet’s teeth using your fingers.
- 0.0.1 Quick Glance: 7 Best Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste
- 0.0.1.1 🐾 Perfect toothpaste for overall care – Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic
- 0.0.1.2 🐾 Best Enzymatic toothpaste – SENTRY Petrodex
- 0.0.1.3 🐾 Best plaque reducing toothpaste – Nylabone Advanced Oral Care
- 0.0.1.4 🐾 Fights bad breath – Arm & Hammer Enzymatic
- 0.0.1.5 🐾 Made with natural ingredients – Kissable All-Natural
- 0.0.1.6 🐾 Vegetarian dental formula – Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
- 0.0.1.7 🐾 Tropiclean fresh breath– Ideal for smaller dog breeds
- 0.0.1 Quick Glance: 7 Best Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste
- 0.1 Can you use human toothpaste on dogs?
- 0.2 Brief Research Based Facts
- 0.3 Why is Enzymatic toothpaste important?
- 0.4 What is periodontal disease in dogs?
- 0.5 Observation is the key
- 0.6 What causes periodontal disease in dogs?
- 0.7 Symptoms of periodontal disease in dogs
- 0.8 How to prevent periodontal disease in dogs?
- 1.0.1 Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste
- 1.0.2 SENTRY Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste
- 1.0.3 Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Toothpaste
- 1.0.4 Arm & Hammer Enzymatic Toothpaste
- 1.0.5 Kissable All-Natural Toothpaste
- 1.0.6 Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
- 1.0.7 Tropiclean Fresh Breath
- 1.0.8 Naturel Promise Fresh Dental Clean Gel- Brushless Cleaning
- 1.0.9 Ark Naturals- Brushless Chewables
- 1.1 How to brush dog teeth?
Can you use human toothpaste on dogs?
A word of caution, NEVER use human toothpaste for cleaning your pet’s teeth. Because, they can cause more damage than any good. According to RSPCA, human toothpastes have fluoride and they also use artificial sweetener called xylitol, which can prove toxic for your pet.
It is always safer to choose a toothpaste that is recommended by the vet. Now, how to recognize a ‘Vet Recommended’ toothpaste?
Usually, it will have a label saying it is ‘Vet Recommended’. Such product go through stringent checks and it is chosen only after surveys and recommendations of various vets.
Brief Research Based Facts
At the beginning of this article, we have briefly highlighted that the over all well being of your dog depends on its oral wellness. So, as a dog owner it is important that we make a constant effort to maintain the oral health of our pets (US National Library of Medicine).
Below you’ll find how to do that. And what ingredients should be present in a good dog toothpaste?
Do not be tempted to just walk into a store and pick the first available product. Be a bit more creative and your dog will love it!
Think what your pet likes. Understand that your pet is not just going to stand quiet and get its teeth cleaned if it does not like the flavor. Would you?
So, ask yourself, what kind of food does my pet enjoy? Chicken, beef or peanut! Dogs have powerful sense of smell, make sure you choose a flavor that your dog loves.
With a number of products available in the market, selecting one which your pet enjoys is not very difficult. Also, pay attention to the ingredients and warnings on the product. Some of the common ingredients which need to be present in a good toothpaste are the following:
- Glucansucrase enzyme is responsible for dental plaque sticking to teeth. A good dog toothpaste will have substances that inhibit the enzyme (Source: Science Daily).
- Emulsifiers to prevent plaque and tartar – how tartar forms on your pet’s teeth?
- Silica to help remove plaque and tartar.
- Choose a good enzymatic toothpaste and give your pet a feeling of complete well being.
Why is Enzymatic toothpaste important?
Enzymatic toothpaste is made up of an enzyme called glucose oxidase. Glucose oxidase works as an antibacterial. It generates hydrogen peroxide that breaks down plaque and tartar. The good thing about enzymatic toothpaste is that it does not require rinsing. So, your dog can safely swallow it. That’s another reason you should not use human toothpaste for your dog.
What is periodontal disease in dogs?
When your dog has a bacterial infection of the mouth, it is called Canine periodontitis. There are few stages of periodontal disease, and a simplified description is given below:
- Formation of plaque where gums become inflamed.
- If left untreated, it develops into gingivitis or gum disease.
- Then becomes mild periodontitis turning into severe.
- Resulting in bone or tooth loss and other complications mentioned before.
You can prevent all these with good oral care and basic hygiene. Apart from causing damage to the mouth; it also affects the entire body. Yes! That’s the scary bit.
According to the statistics gathered by American Veterinary Dental College, dogs as young as three years start showing signs of periodontal disease. Yet dog owners tend to ignore it mainly because there are no outward symptoms.
Observation is the key
Even though, this is a fairly common disease, you can prevent it from harming your furry friend. Get into the habit of checking your dog’s teeth right from puppy stage.
I have shared with you a video below where Dr. Mike provides you the basics. Also, talk to your vet, they are experts and they will guide you in the right direction.
Next, lets look at the reasons of periodontal disease. This will help you to gain insight on how you can prevent or slow down the disease.
What causes periodontal disease in dogs?
Bacteria is the main cause of gum diseases in humans and in animals. If food particles and bacteria are allowed to accumulate, then it will gradually cause gum disease. We have briefly covered that before.
Bacteria mixes with food and saliva, every time the animal eats food. Which in turn forms a thin sticky layer on the teeth and is known as plaque. Leading to inflammation of gums, loss of bone, tissues and teeth.
In comparison to humans, periodontal disease occurs five times more often in canines. Why? Because of the chemical make up of a dog’s mouth and saliva. A dog’s mouths is more alkaline, therefore causing a faster buildup of plaque.
So, regularly brush your dog’s teeth.
Symptoms of periodontal disease in dogs
Unfortunately periodontal disease has no clear symptoms at the early stages. Therefore, making it difficult to detect. Rarely do pet owners realize that their dog is suffering from gum disease. By the time pet owners recognize the symptoms, the animal is already suffering from a chronic ailment. Symptoms of periodontal disease include:
- Red or bleeding gums
- Bad Breath
- Loose teeth
- Difficulty in picking food
- Lumps in the gums
- Ropey, bloody and sticky saliva
- Chewing only on one side
- Nasal Discharge and sneezing which occurs with the advancement of the disease. The bone between the nasal and upper oral cavity starts to degenerate.
How to prevent periodontal disease in dogs?
- Brush your pet’s teeth regularly. But ask your Vet how often you need to do it . It will help minimize the bacteria and plaque build-up.
- Take your pet to the veterinarian for regular oral checkups. Your Vet may recommend necessary x-ray’s etc.
- Always provide your pet with good quality food. Follow a diet that your vet recommends.
- Good dental chews for dogs (check this out on Amazon) help in cleaning dog’ teeth.
To make it easy for you, here is a list of the best Vet recommended dog toothpaste with detailed reviews. These toothpastes will help in maintaining your pet’s oral wellness.
This Vet Recommended Dog Toothpaste is available in five different flavors. Most pet owners find that their dog enjoys the taste of this toothpaste!
With over 30 years of experience in developing pet oral care products, they are virtual experts in the industry. Most vets recommend C.E.T products, as they are known as #1 in pet oral wellness.
The special formulation of C.E.T makes it highly safe and effective to use and will definitely appeal to your pet. As it has no foaming agents, it is perfectly safe for your pet to swallow.
The enzymes present in the toothpaste acts as a natural antibacterial agent. And prevents bad breath.
- It does not adversely affect your pet’s wellbeing as it is a special formulation for dogs.
- It is highly effective in preventing plaque and the taste will definitely appeal to your pet.
- Eliminates oral odor.
- Choose from five different flavors.
- Safe to swallow as it does not contain foaming agents.
- Store in a cool place.
- Always test for a few days to check if your pet is comfortable in using the product. If your pet shows signs of discomfort, discontinue use and take your pet to a vet at the earliest.
Made with patented enzymes, SENTRY is a specifically formulated toothpaste. It is a non-foaming toothpaste and has proven to prevent the building of tartar. As per customers reviews, this toothpaste helps whiten the dogs yellowish teeth within 30 days.
Regular usage of this vet recommended dog toothpaste fights bad breath and prevents plaque buildup.Brushing your pet’s teeth 2-3 times a week with this toothpaste will help maintain its oral wellness.
Most dogs enjoy the poultry flavor of this toothpaste and look forward to this daily routine.
- Made specifically for dogs with patented enzymes.
- Hydrogen peroxide present in the toothpaste helps reduce tartar and plaque formation.
- Does not require rinsing as it is a non-foaming toothpaste.
- Prevents bad breath and cleans effectively leaving your pet’s teeth white within a month of regular use.
- Pets don’t make a fuss while brushing since they enjoy the poultry flavor of the toothpaste.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Store at room temperature.
- Avoid contact with the eyes and use only for animals.
For over 60 years, Nylabone is known for manufacturing chews, treats and toys. Now, they unveil an Advanced Oral Care product for dogs. With years of experience in manufacturing pet products, they have now launched an oral care line.
The toothpaste is a scientifically formulated blend. It has Denta-C which is clinically proven to reduce bacteria which causes plaque.
The natural peanut flavor leaves your dog’s mouth clean and smelling fresh. This toothpaste has a strong, sweet odor.
- The toothpaste contains Denta-C, which is proven to defend against bacteria which cause plaque buildup.
- The natural peanut flavor gives your dog a clean mouth and removes bad breath.
- Healthy teeth and gums.
- Try a small quantity to see if your dog is comfortable with the taste. Dogs have a taste preference just like humans.
Arm and Hammer is a trusted name for providing a wide range of products for over 100 years. The Enzymatic toothpaste will keep your pet’s gums and teeth clean and tartar free. The presence of baking soda will make your dog’s teeth completely white and bright.
It is an ideal enzymatic toothpaste for both pups and bigger dogs. It kills germs and refreshes the mouth. As it is made of natural ingredients, your dog will love the flavors and look forward to this hygiene routine.
Brushing 2-3 times per week will yield better results. It is available in four different flavors – vanilla-ginger, beef, beef with mint and chicken. When using the toothpaste for the first time, let your dog to lick off a small amount to get used to the taste, before progressing to brushing.
- It effectively eliminates bad breath and reduces tartar.
- Baking soda present in the toothpaste helps brighten and whiten teeth.
- The toothpaste is made of natural ingredients ensuring optimal oral health.
- Ideal for cleaning the teeth of pups and bigger dogs.
- Stop use immediately if your dog shows signs of discomfort and contact the vet.
- Not for human use.
- Keep away from children.
- Store at room temperature.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
This product is made of three main ingredients which are tetrapotassium, tetrasodium, and phosphate. The natural ingredients include tea tree oil and Stevia. Tea tree oil is known for its antifungal and antiseptic properties. Stevia improves the taste without increasing the dog’s glycemic levels.
All these ingredients help reduce the buildup of tartar, promotes healthy gums and keeps the breath fresh.
This product is available in two flavors – Vanilla and cucumber-mint. The toothpaste is safe to swallow and does not require rinsing. This toothpaste is ideal for cleaning the teeth of puppies and bigger dogs.
- It has no side effects as it is made of all-natural products.
- Contains tea tree oil which is known for its antifungal and antiseptic properties.
- Contains natural sweeteners- Vanilla and Stevia which do not increase the glycemic level of the dog.
- The dog can safely ingest the toothpaste. It does not require rinsing.
- It can control tartar and bad breath. Contains Kolin which leaves the teeth sparkling clean.
- The toothpaste contains sorbitol which makes it allergic for some dogs. Take your dog to the vet if he shows signs of discomfort.
Vets Best brings to you a blend of natural ingredients to provide your pet with safe oral care. This toothpaste is in a gel form and will protect your pet’s teeth against plaque and tartar. It gives your pet a fresh breath and white, clean teeth.
The toothpaste is made of natural ingredients which include aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, and enzymes. All these ingredients have antifungal and antibacterial properties. It contains baking soda, for whitening the teeth.
- It is made of natural ingredients – aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, and enzymes. It has a soothing effect.
- Contains baking soda which helps maintain white teeth.
- Fights plaque and tartar.
- Gel has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- For best results, it is better to feed the dog a couple of hours after brushing.
- Some dogs are sensitive to baking soda.
- The toothpaste cannot cure any disease, illness or medical condition.
It provides your pet with complete dental care. Tropiclean massages the gum tissues and ensures a complete and effective cleaning of all areas of the mouth. It defends your pet’s mouth against tartar and plaque buildup. It is an ideal product for sensitive mouths.
- Kills germs causing oral diseases and gingivitis.
- Removes plaque and tartar buildup.
- Regular usage improves overall dental health.
- Made of natural ingredients and is very safe.
- Ideal for small dogs.
- It is better to withhold food for 30 minutes after brushing for best results.
It is usually a challenging task for pet owners to perform this routine task. For such pet owner here is a gel which will perform all the functions of regular toothpaste, without brushing!
The proprietary blend of ingredients which are all-natural takes care of problems such as plaque, tartar, gingivitis and bad breath.
- Made of natural ingredients including
- Brushless Cleaning.
- Fast working cleaning gel.
- Removes bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis by killing germs.
- Made using natural ingredients – natural cleanser, green tea leaf extract, and mint.
- Also helps to soothe minor gum irritations.
- Discontinue use if your pet does not like the flavor. Some may not prefer its natural taste and flavor.
This chewable brushes and cleans your pet’s teeth as it chews. The outside ridges perform an abrasive action which cleans the teeth.
The outside of the chewable has fresh flavors of cinnamon, clove, alfalfa, and vanilla. While on the inside is a patented toothpaste for tartar, plaque and bacteria control. It also helps clean if your dog has heavily stained teeth.
- No brushing needed.
- Reduces bad breath, plaque, and tartar.
- Cleans heavily stained teeth.
- Fresh flavors of cinnamon, clove, and vanilla combat bacteria which helps reduce bad breath.
- Does not contain corn, soy, wheat, by-products or preservatives, artificial colors, and flavors.
Some dogs don’t like the taste and flavor and tend to vomit. Discontinue if it doesn’t agree with yours.
How to brush dog teeth?
This is great video by Dr. Mike where he shows how you can brush your dog’s teeth, yes the right way. He shares with you some cool techniques, which will make it easier for you and better brushing experience for your pet. Also, the importance of routine monitoring just like you would take care your own teeth. He briefly mentions how dental diseases can cause damage to:
- Heart valves
- And, even the Kidneys